Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Jobs

I lucked out with my current job. I found it less than a month after I graduated from MSU. Full-time with benefits. The dream job for any new college grad. It's been a little over 2 years and I'm still there, but I've hit a wall... Do I really want to stay there? Do I really want to work at this company for the rest of my life? The simple answer... no. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad job. It's just not what I expected myself to do. And more recently, I've begun to hate some parts of my job. I come home depressed or angry. I only get to see my daughter for about 3 hours a day... and most of that time is spent cooking or putting her to bed.
But I feel like I shouldn't be allowed to hate my job. I'm lucky. Most people I graduated with 2 years ago have yet to find jobs, especially full time ones with benefits. I should appreciate my job. I should be glad that I'm there. But I'm not. My degree is in French & German and here I am working with unappreciative or stupid (not all, but a good handful) school district employees. I want to be doing something I love. I'd rather go back to working at a bookstore. At least that was interesting. Something I enjoyed.

Am I wrong to want something more? Should I just sit there and be appreciative that I have a job is this market? I am glad that I have a job. I just wish that it were something more....


1 comment:

  1. Good question. You should enjoy what you do, but it is hard to find a job nowadays. Maybe stick with it till the market turns around?

    ReplyDelete